Inside: Learn some awesome essential oil uses for pregnancy that will help support your emotions, digestive system and hormones. All while nurturing that sweet baby growing inside you. **Be sure to talk to your doctor or midwife about incorporating essential oils into your pregnancy routine**
When I first became pregnant with my daughter (second kid), I knew that using essential oils during pregnancy was going to be important to my wellness.
I didn’t quite understand how important these essential oils would be. Pregnancy is supposed to a happy time in woman’s life, but for me, there were a lot mixed feelings, emotional ups and downs, and a slew of unrelenting pregnancy symptoms.
I was dealing with a toddler, who was not all that understanding of my situation. My husband was gone all the time. And…we were living in a foreign country half way around the world from our family in the US.
I was 100 percent sure we were going to get through it, but the situation was less than ideal. Counting on essential oils was an understatement.
If you are looking for a natural way to manage those pesky symptoms, there are some incredible essential oil uses for pregnancy that will keep this season of life enjoyable and thriving. I’ve divided them into 10 categories here for you. There are 25+ ideas here.
Related: 17 Best Essential Oils for Stress
1. Essential oil uses for pregnancy queasiness
Most pregnant women experience queasiness in the first months of pregnancy. For some it’s just in the morning; others, throughout the entire day.
- Ginger—Inhale or place one drop ginger vitality on the tongue.
- Spearmint—Inhale or place one drop of spearmint vitality on the tongue. Or dilute 2 drops Ginger and 1 drop Spearmint with carrier oil and rub over belly.
- AromaEase—Diffuse for 30 minutes and place 1 drop behind each of your ears.
- Take 1 drop Peppermint to your thumb and press it onto the roof of your mouth for about 10 seconds. Then deep breath.
- Increase Protein to boost nutrition. I drank Pure Protein Complete in the mornings when I woke up to help put something in my stomach when I woke up. This is an important way to support normal digestion – keeping something in your stomach.
2. Essential oils for tired muscles.
Anytime you are carrying around additional weight, especially if this is your second child and you are spending the day chasing another child around you may experience tired muscles.
- Deep relief roll-on—Apply directly to tired muscles
- Valor—Dilute with carrier oil and apply to muscles
- PanAway—Dilute with carrier oil and apply to desired area as needed.
3. Essential oils for healthy belly skin.
As your belly expands, keep your belly skin healthy and glowing. This can help support your body’s natural production of collagen and elastin.
Frankincense is excellent and supporting your body’s natural response to healing and cell turnover. Lavender helps support your body’s natural response to inflammation, it’s soothing and relaxing and it supports healthy glowing skin.
There are literally thousands of different uses for this oil.
- Frankincense—Dilute with carrier oil and apply to skin. I typically use 1-2 drops diluted 50/50 with carrier oil and apply twice daily.
- Lavender—Dilute with carrier oil and apply to skin. Same with this oil – use 1-2 drops diluted 50/50 with carrier oil and apply twice daily.
- Homemade Skin Blend:
4. Essential oils to support healthy fluid balance.
Essential oils are here to support your body systems. They help your body proactively stay healthy (Think: offense instead of defense). You want your body to work the way they it was intended to work – especially during pregnancy as your body regulates fluid balance.
- Lemon—Dilute in carrier oil and massage into legs, feet and ankles. This oil supports healthy kidney function so your body can manage intake and output. It also supports your body’s ability to remove toxins from the body. You’ll also discover a very uplifting aroma, and this oil has the magical ability to make your house smell clean all the time.
5. Essential oils to support healthy energy levels.
Your body is making a tiny human – it’s exhausting. This is the big reason I love essential oils for energy support.
- Peppermint—Inhale or diffuse.
- Lemon — Inhale or diffuse.
- Master Formula – We take Young Living’s multivitamin. Taking a super high quality multi is so, so important to maintaining good energy during pregnancy. Many vitamins out there are not bioavailable to your body – meaning, when you take it, your body does not absorb what is inside of it.
- NingXia Red – This is a full days supply of fruits and vegetables inside a 1 oz shot. It’s the equivalent to 4 lbs of carrots, 2 quarts of carrot juice, 8 oranges, 1 pint orange juice, 2 lbs of beets, 3 cups of beet juice, 3 cups of raspberries AND 2 cups of blueberries. This tastes good and it’s so easy to add into your routine each day.
6. Essential oil uses for pregnancy brain.
This IS a thing. You want to focus and have actual thoughts – like where are my sunglasses – make sense. This is especially true when your toddler is screaming in the background about his toast being cut the wrong shape. You want to keep your brain sharp during pregnancy.
These are two that I loved…
- Clarity– Diffuse; Combine 3-4 drops with ½ cup Epsom salts and put in bath water. Dilute with carrier oil and apply on temples, wrists, and back of neck.
- Believe—Dilute 1-2 drops in carrier oil and apply to wrists and back of neck. May also diffuse.
That being said, you may also want essential oils for emotional support.
If so, check out this post: 15 Calming Essential Oils That Bring Peace and Contentment
7. Essential oils for ah-maze-zing sleep support.
In order to feel rested, you absolutely need to sleep WELL. High quality sleep makes all the difference with keeping your energy levels up, keeping your emotions level and supporting a healthy immune system.
These were my favorite oils for sleep during pregnancy:
- Peace and calming—Dilute in carrier oil (like olive oil, coconut oil or whatever you have on hand) and blend-in 2 drops. Rub on bottom of feet before bedtime. You can also diffuse in your bedroom 30 minutes before sleep. I love the smell of this, so I also put it on my wrists.
- Lavender—Dilute in carrier oil and blend-in with 2 drops. Rub on bottom of feet before bedtime or diffuse in your bedroom 30 minutes before sleep.
- Cedarwood—Super high in sesquiterpenes – 98%!!! Vetiver is 97% and another one you may want to try. This means it will cross the blood-brain barrier. This oil has the incredible ability to support your body’s sleep hormones. Dilute in carrier oil and apply on soles of feet, back of neck or wrists before sleep. Very woodsy smell, but it grew on me, and now I love it.
8. Essential oils for healthy digestion.
Just go straight for the Digize. It contains everything that you need in one blend. That way you just need this one oil instead of grabbing multiple. It’s pretty stinky, but you’re not using it for the smell. This can help support healthy stomach function AND healthy bowel function.
- DiGize vitality —Dilute in carrier oil and apply 3-4 drops directly on the belly. You can also ingest one drop of digize vitality orally – put this in a vegetable capsule to avoid tasting it. A combination of the above works best.
- Lemon vitality – You can also put a drop of lemon inside a vegetable capsule for healthy digestion. Also supports healthy fluid balance and healthy kidney function.
9. Essential oils for emotional support. Release the tension.
Young Living has something called the “Feelings Kit” and the feelings protocol, which was developed by Gary Young himself became an everyday ritual for me during pregnancy. It contains harmony, forgiveness, release, inner child, valor and present time.
Outside of those oils, here are some that I like for emotional support:
- Frankincense—Dilute in carrier oil and place a drop on temples, back of neck, across forehead. May also diffuse or inhale.
- Lavender—Dilute in carrier oil and place a drop on temples, back of neck, across forehead and on any location. May also diffuse or inhale.
- Roman Chamomile—Dilute in carrier oil and place a drop or less on temple, back of neck and across temples. Also diffuse or inhale.
- Peace and calming; Valor.
Another powerful way to use essential oils for emotional support is to place 1-3 drops of the oil in the palm of your hand. Drop 1-3 drops of carrier oil into your palm as well. Then rub them together in a clockwise manner to activate the oil and apply to the back of your neck.
NEXT, here’s the most important part – rub your hands together, cup over your nose and take 6 deep breaths. This will help activate your parasympathetic nervous system and this will support your relaxation. This also helps the oil reach your olfactory bulb, which is a direct pathway to your limbic system (the seat of emotions).
10. Essential oil products to support healthy iron levels.
Healthy iron levels is another key component to feeling well during pregnancy. These are my personal go-to options:
- Multigreens –If you have a slow metabolism, take 3 capsules two times daily. If you have a fast metabolism, take 4 capsules once or twice daily. Best taken 1 hour before meals. For stomach sensitivity, take with meals.
- Mineral Essence –Take 5 half-droppers (1 ml each) morning and evening or as needed as a mineral supplement. May be added to 4-8 oz. of distilled/purified water or juice before drinking.
Where to buy essential oils? This is important.
I personally only feel comfortable using Young Living essential oils. They are the ONLY company that owns all their own farms and partner farms. Because the essential oil industry is not regulated, a bottle of essential oil can contain 5% essential oil and the rest synthetic filler and still be labeled as 100% therapeutic grade. Unless you are purchasing directly through a Young Living member, you absolutely do not know what you are going to get.
I am not willing to chance it and put something on my body that could potentially make me sick rather than healthier. Please do not buy essential oils off Amazon. People buy YL oils, dilute them and add filler and then re-sell them on Amazon to earn a profit. It is not worth it!
When using essential oils, you want them to work. AND when you have a 100% therapeutic grade essential oil from Young Living, you don’t need as much. A little goes a long way! The oil actually works and supports your body the way you intended!
If you are wanting to get started with essential oils, you can check out my monthly YL special here. It’s the best decision I ever made.
Want more on essential oils?
- 25 Life-Changing Essential Oil Hacks for Busy Moms
- 7 Essential Oils for Sleep That Will Help You Sleep All Night
- 15 Calming Essential Oils for Relaxation and Emotional Support
- Young Living Premium Starter Kit – Monthly Special
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.